The Government of India has made it mandatory to link your Mobile number with Aadhaar card for identification verification and has put a deadline of March 31, 2018 to do so. While the process of verification by visiting the mobile network customer centers can be tiresome, UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) has rolled out OTP based verification system using which you can link your mobile numbers with Aadhaar from your home. This method of verification has come into act since January 1st, 2018.
This process was announced by the Govt. of India back in December, and it is only now the process has come into play since telecoms requested some time to make suitable changes once it was allowed by the telecom department.
The verification process is very simple. Users who still haven’t linked the Aadhaar number with the mobile number (that’s around 50 crores) now can call a single number (IVR) to verify all their mobile numbers with Aadhaar through a one-time password (OTP), irrespective of network. This IVR process supports English, Hindi, and several regional languages.
How to link Aadhaar with mobile phone number
- Call the IVR number 14546 (toll free), and you will be asked to select whether you are an Indian national or an NRI by selecting the respective option
- Next, you will have to give consent to link Aadhaar number with your phone number by pressing 1
- After that, you need to provide your Aadhaar number and press 1 to confirm
- This step generates the OTP, which you will receive on your mobile phone. (The OTP valid for 30 minutes)
- Now, you need to enter your phone number
- Here, you are asked to give consent to your operator to pick your name, photo and date of birth from UIDAI data base
- The IVR now mentions the last four digits of your number to confirm that you have keyed in the right number
- If the number is correct, you can enter the OTP which you received on SMS
- You must press 1 to complete the Aadhaar-mobile number re-verification process
- If you hold another phone number, you can link that too by pressing 2 and following the steps provided by the IVR system. Keep your other mobile phone handy as you will receive the OTP on this number.
So far, Idea, Vodafone and Airtel have activated the service, but we expect other networks to join very soon.