SHARP has announced AQUOS S2, its latest bezel-less smartphone at an event in Beijing. It packs a 5.5-inch Full HD+ (1080 x 2040 pixels) display with 84.95% screen-to-body ratio. The company uses FFD (Free Form Display) technology to make small holes precisely in the screen for front camera and receiver.
It is the world’s first smartphone to be powered by Snapdragon 630 Mobile Platform and the high-end version comes with Snapdragon 660 Mobile Platform. It runs on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with Smile UX and has RoboS assistant.
The standard version of the phone comes with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of expandable internal storage, while the high-end version sports 6GB of RAM and 128GB of expandable internal storage.
As for camera, it has a 12-megapixel primary rear camera with f/1.75 aperture, along with a secondary 8-megapixel secondary camera for capturing depth information and offering background blur. On the front it has a 8-megapixel with f/2.0 aperture.
It has a metal frame and 3D glass body. The fingerprint sensor that is present below the display is just 3.6mm, making it the world’s narrowest fingerprint identification module.
SHARP AQUOS S2 Specifications:
- 5.5-inch Full HD+ (1080 x 2040 pixels) LCD display with 550 nits brightness, 135% sRGB color coverage, 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 14nm (64-bit) Mobile Platform with Octa Core (4 x 2.2GHz Cortex A53 + 4 x 1.8GHz Cortex A53) CPU / Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 14nm (64-bit) Mobile Platform with Octa Core (4 x 2.2GHz Kryo 260 + 4 x 1.8GHz Kryo 260) CPU
- Adreno 508 GPU / Adreno 512 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB internal storage / 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB internal storage, expandable up to 128GB via microSD card
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with Smile UX
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano/microSD)
- 4G VoLTE, 3G HSPA+, 2G GPRS/EDGE, Dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS / GLONASS, microUSB 2.0, USB Type-C, USB OTG
- 12MP primary rear camera with f/1.75 aperture, 1.4um pixel size, dual-tone LED Flash, PDAF, 1080p video recording + secondary 8MP camera
- 8MP front camera, 1.4um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 1080p
- Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Proximity, Gyroscope, Ambient light, E-Compass, Hall sensor
- Non-removable 3020mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0
- Dimensions: 141.8 x 72.04 x 7.9mm
- Weight: 140 grams
- Colors: Black, White, Blue, Green
The SHARP AQUOS S2 is priced at CNY 2499 (US$ 372 / Rs. 23,755 approx) for the standard version with Snapdragon 630 SoC, 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, while the top-end Limited edition version with Snapdragon 660 SoC, 6GB RAM and 128GB storage costs CNY 3499 (US$ 521 / Rs. 33,260 approx) . It is available for pre-order from jd.com and goes on sale from August 14th in China.