After several rumors Samsung has officially announced the Galaxy S8 Active rugged smartphone that is built out of military-grade materials and is shock, shatter, water and dust-resistant (IP68). It has a metal frame with bumper to protect against drops of up to 5 feet (on a level surface), tilting or twisting and the back cover offers a secure grip. It will be exclusively available from AT&T for a limited time.
It packs a 5.8-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED shatter-resistant display with 18.5:9 aspect ratio, is powered by Snapdragon 835 Octa-Core Mobile Platform coupled with 4GB of RAM, has 64GB of expandable internal storage and runs on Android Nougat.
As for camera, it has a 12-megapixel Dual Pixel rear camera with f/1.7 aperture and an 8-megapixel auto-focus front camera with f/1.7 aperture, similar to the S8 and S8+.
It also has Bixby AI assistant with dedicated hardware button, Iris scanner on the top, fingerprint sensor and heart rate sensor on the back, and packs a 4000mAh battery with support for fast charging.
Samsung Galaxy S8 Active specifications:
- 5.8-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Always-on display, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) Mobile Platform with Octa-Core (4 x 2.35GHz + 4 x 1.9GHz) CPU
- Adreno 540 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM
- 64GB Internal storage (UFS 2.1), expandable up to 256 GB via microSD card slot
- Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Single SIM
- 4G LTE Cat16 (1GBps), 3G HSPA+, 2G GPRS/EDGE, Dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth v5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), NFC, A-GPS/GLONASS/BDS/ GALILEO, microUSB 3.1, USB Type-C, USB OTG
- 3.5mm audio jack, Hi-Res Audio, Stereo loudspeakers
- Ultra High Quality Audio Playback – PCM: Up to 32 bits; DSD: DSD64/128
- 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with 1/2.55″ sensor size, 1.4µm pixel size, 26mm lens, f/1.7 aperture, OIS, LED Flash, 4K (2160p) video recording
- 8MP auto-focus front camera with 1/3.6″ sensor size, 1.22µm pixel size, f/1.7 aperture, 80-degree wide-angle lens, Auto HDR, 1080p
- Water and dust resistant body (IP68) + + MIL-STD-810G
- Fingerprint, Heart Rate, Iris scanner, Accelerometer, Proximity, Gyroscope, RGB Light, Barometer, Geomagnetic, Hall, Pressure Sensors
- Dimensions: 152.14 x 74.9 × 9.9mm
- Weight: 207 grams
- Battery: Non-removable 4000mAh battery, Fast Charging
- Colors: Meteor Gray, Titanium Gold
The Samsung Galaxy S8 Active rugged phone will be exclusively available from AT&T for $28.34 for 30 months or, $850 (Rs. 54,255 approx) and is available now for pre-order here from today, and sales start on August 11th.