Samsung just announced its hotly anticipated flagship smartphone/phablet in the Note-series, the Galaxy Note8 at its New York event. It packs a 6.3-inch Quad HD+ Super AMOLED Infinity Display – an end-to-end bezel-less screen with 18.5:9 aspect ratio that extends to the phone’s sides, similar to the S8 series. It is powered by Snapdragon 835 or Exynos 9 Series 8895 10nm chipset (depending on region) coupled with 6GB of RAM, has 64GB/128GB/256GB of expandable internal storage and runs on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with Samsung’s own UI on top.
As for camera, the Galaxy Note8 is the company’s first smartphone to come with dual rear cameras. It has a 12-megapixel Dual Pixel primary rear camera with f/1.7 aperture and wide-angle lens, and a 12-megapixel secondary camera with f/2.4 aperture and telephoto lens, offering 2x optical zoom and up to 10x digital zoom. Both also have OIS. On the front it sports an 8-megapixel auto-focus selfie shooter with f/1.7 aperture and wide-angle lens.
It has an Iris scanner on the top, fingerprint sensor and heart rate monitor on the back, and is also water resistant up to 1.5 meters of water for 30 minutes with IP68 ratings. It also has a dedicated Bixby hardware button that was first introduced with the S8 series.
The Galaxy Note8 comes with an improved S Pen stylus with finer tip, improved pressure sensitivity and also now lets you share animated texts or drawings across platforms that support animated GIFs. It also has improved S Pen Translate feature lets you hover over text to quickly translate entire sentences in up to 71 languages, and instantly convert units and foreign currencies.
Samsung Galaxy Note8 specifications:
- 6.3-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Always-on Infinity display, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) SoC with Octa-core (4 x 2.35GHz Kryo + 4 x 1.9GHz Kryo) CPU / Samsung Exynos 9 Series 8895 (64-bit) SoC with Octa-core (4 x 2.3GHz + 4 x 1.7GHz) CPU
- Adreno 540 GPU (Qualcomm) / Mali-G71 MP20 GPU (Exynos)
- 6GB LPDDR4 RAM
- 64GB / 128GB / 256GB Internal storage, expandable up to 256 GB via microSD card slot
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat)
- Single SIM / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 4G LTE Cat16 (1GBps), 3G HSPA+, 2G GPRS/EDGE, Dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth v5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), A-GPS/GLONASS/BDS/ GALILEO, NFC, microUSB 3.1, USB Type-C, USB OTG, MST
- 3.5mm audio jack, Hi-Res Audio, Stereo loudspeaker, FM Radio
- Ultra High Quality Audio Playback – PCM: Up to 32 bits; DSD: DSD64/128
- 12MP Dual Pixel primary rear camera with wide-angle lens, f/1.7 aperture, OIS, LED Flash, 4K (2160p) video recording + secondary 12MP camera with telephoto lens, f2.4 aperture, OIS, 2x optical zoom, up to 10x digital zoom
- 8MP auto-focus front camera with 1/3.6″ sensor size, 1.22µm pixel size, f/1.7 aperture, 80-degree wide-angle lens, Auto HDR, 1080p
- Water and dust resistant body (IP68)
- Fingerprint, Heart Rate, Iris scanner, Accelerometer, Proximity, Gyroscope, RGB Light, Barometer, Geomagnetic, Hall, Pressure Sensors
- Dimensions: 162.5 x 74.8 x 8.6 mm
- Weight: 195 grams
- Battery: Non-removable 3300mAh battery, fast charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA)
- Colors: Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Deep Sea Blue, Maple Gold
The Samsung Galaxy Note8 will be available starting mid-September globally. In the U.S. it will be available for pre-order from August 24th through most carries and ships from September 15th.
|Where||Price||Colors||Early owner bonus|
|US||$930||Orchid Gray, Midnight Black||Gear 360 camera|
128GB microSD + fast wireless charger
|UK||£869||Midnight Black, Maple Gold||Samsung DeX docking station|
|Europe||€999||Samsung DeX docking station|
|Canada||CA$1,300||Midnight Black, Deepsea Blue||128GB microSD + fast wireless charger|
(only until September 15)
(pre-orders start August 25)
|Midnight Black, Maple Gold||128GB microSD + fast wireless charger|
(only until September 21)