HMD Global (the firm behind the new Nokia-branded handsets) just launched the flagship Nokia 8 smartphone at an event in London, as it had promised. It packs a 5.3-inch Quad HD display with 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection, is powered by a Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) Octa-Core Mobile Platform paired with 4GB / 6GB of RAM, has 64GB / 128GB (UFS 2.1) internal storage and runs on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with promised monthly Android security patch update and will also get the next major Android O update.
In terms of camera, the Nokia 8 comes with ZEISS optics both on the rear and front. The main camera features dual 13MP sensors, one with a color sensor and the other with a monochrome sensor for low light and dedicated black and white photography. The color camera has optical image stabilization (OIS) and there is Laser Auto-focus and a dual LED flash to help in the dark. The selfie camera is a 13MP sensor with PDAF and wide angle lens. It has Dual-Sight technology that uses both front and back cameras simultaneously, fusing both images together into one photo or video file.
Nokia OZO spatial 360° audio uses the phone’s 3 microphones and Nokia acoustic technology algorithms to capture the sound in incredible detail (with a quality to match the sharp 4K video imagery) then allow playback on the Nokia 8, YouTube and other supporting devices. You can also broadcast live directly to Facebook and YouTube from within the camera app, thanks to the partnership.
The smartphone has organic full aluminium unibody design, machined from a single block of 6000 series aluminum, then polished into a luxury mirror finish. It measures 7.9mm at the thickest point and has basic resistance to the elements with an IP54 rating. It has a fingerprint sensor embedded into the home button and packs a 3090mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 support.
Nokia 8 specifications:
- 5.3-inch Quad HD (2560×1440 pixels) IPS LCD display with 2.5D Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection, 700 nits brightness
- Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) Mobile Platform with 2.45GHz Octa-Core CPU
- Adreno 540 GPU
- 4GB DDR4X RAM with 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage / 6GB DDR4X RAM with 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage (Blue), expandable memory up to 256GB via microSD card
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat), upgradable to Android O
- Single / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano/microSD)
- 4G VoLTE, 3G HSPA+, 2G GPRS/EDGE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac dual band (2.4GHz & 5GHz) MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS/GLONASS/BDS, NFC, micro USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB Type-C, USB OTG
- 3.5mm audio jack, 3 microphones, Nokia OZO 360° spatial surround sound recording
- 13MP (Color) primary rear camera with OIS + 13MP (Monochrome) camera, ZEISS optics, 1.12um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 76.9-degree wide-angle lens, PDAF, LAF, IR range finder, dual tone LED flash, 4K video recording
- 13MP front camera with ZEISS optics, PDAF, 1.12um pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 78.4-degree wide-angle lens, 1080p
- Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, Ambient Light, E-compass, Magnetic-Field, Hall, Barometer sensor
- Non-removable 3090mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
- Dimensions: 151.5 x 73.7 x 7.9 mm
- Colors: Polished Blue, Tempered Blue, Steel, Polished Copper
The Nokia 8 is priced at 599 Euros (US$ 700 / Rs. 44,990 approx) and will start shipping in early September globally and is expected to launch in India in early October.