HTC has announced its latest flagship smartphone for 2017, dubbed as U11. The smartphone sports a 5.5-inch Quad HD Super LCD 5 3D glass display with Gorilla Glass 5 protection, is powered by a Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) Octa-Core processor paired with 4GB/6GB of RAM, has 64GB/128GB expandable internal storage and runs on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with HTC Sense UI on top.
In terms of camera, it has 12-megapixel HTC UltraPixel 3-branded camera on the back with 1.4 micron pixel size, f/1.7 aperture, multi-axis optical image stabilization (OIS), dual LED flash, and 4K video recording. HTC says that the camera beats the Google Pixel by achieving DxOMark score of 90, the highest ever rating for a smartphone camera for both photo and video. It also has Auto HDR Boost that offers clearer, more balanced pictures by taking multiple shots that measure the darkest shadows and brightest highlights without any slowdown. On the front it also has a 16-megapixel camera with Selfie Panorama mode and Full HD video recording.
The main highlight of the smartphone is it comes with a new standout feature called ‘Edge Sense’ that lets you squeeze the phone in order to launch any application. So you can open the camera, send text messages, open email and more just by squeezing the U11’s frame. It also lets you activate advanced touch and use a short squeeze as well as a squeeze and hold for even more functionality.
“Because Edge Sense is based on actual pressure applied to the side of the device, it can be used in nearly any condition – including while wearing gloves or in weather such as snow or rain that would normally be a challenge with capacitive buttons,” said the company.
The HTC Sense Companion first released for the U Ultra will land on the U11 too. This is an software that uses an AI to learn about you and offer intelligent suggestions, based on what you do and your use of the device. It will also advise you when to charge the phone, if your schedule indicates you may run out of power before bedtime. It also comes with Google Assistant built-in (where available), and Amazon Alexa in certain markets. In China, it comes with Duer AI Assistant: Powered by Baidu DuerOS.
The phone has liquid glass surface crafted using Optical Spectrum Hybrid Deposition. HTC says that it is created by layering highly-refractive precious minerals across the phone’s back cover, creating vivid new colors that transform light. It is also dust and water-resistant with IP57 ratings.
It has USB Type-C audio and the new HTC USonic combines Active Noise Cancellation with the ability to tune audio to your unique hearing. It uses built-in microphones on the headset and USB Type-C data connectivity. USonic earbuds map inner ear with an advanced sonar-like technology and then adapt the sound profile to your unique biology. “This creates an incredibly personal and optimized listening experience with vibrant audio shaped specifically for you,” says HTC. It also has HTC BoomSound Hi-Fi Edition speakers, promises more loudness and better Dynamic Range Audio, and 4 optimally positioned omni-directional microphones that are always listening and can record 3D Audio. It is also Hi-Res Audio certified.
The handset packs a 3,000mAh battery, which supports Qualcomm’s Quick Charge 3.0 as well as has two different power saving modes.
HTC U11 specifications:
- 5.5-inch Quad HD (1440 x 2560 pixels) Super LCD 5 display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) SoC with 2.45GHz Octa-Core CPU
- Adreno 540 GPU
- 4GB / 6GB RAM
- 64GB / 128GB Internal storage, expandable up to 2TB via microSD card
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with HTC Sense UI
- HTC Edge Sense, HTC Sense Companion
- 4G LTE Cat16 (1 Gbps), 3G HSPA+, 2G GPRS/EDGE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac dual band (2.4GHz & 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS & Beidou, NFC, micro USB 3.1, USB Type-C 1.0 (reversible connector), USB OTG
- USB Type-C audio, HTC BoomSound Hi-Fi edition, HTC USonic, 3D Audio recording with 4 mics, Hi-Res audio certified
- 12MP (HTC Ultrapixel 3) rear camera with 1.4µm pixel size, f/1.7 aperture, PDAF, OIS, RAW support, dual LED flash, 4K video recording with 3D Audio, 120fps slow mo video at 1080p
- 16MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture, Selfie Panorama mode, 1080p video recording
- Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, Ambient Light, E-compass, Magnetic-Field, Hall sensor
- Non-removable Li-Ion 3000mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 (50% in 30 min)
- Water and dust resistant (IP57)
- Dimensions: 153.9 x 75.9 x 7.9mm
- Weight: 169 grams
- Colors: Amazing Silver, Sapphire Blue, Brilliant Black, Ice White, Solar Red
The HTC U11 will start rolling out in select countries from next week and will be available worldwide from June, 2017. It is priced at €749 (Rs. 52,895 approx) in Europe, £649 (Rs. 53760 approx) in UK and $696 (Rs. 44595 approx) in the U.S (Only with contract currently). India will get the 6GB RAM with 128GB storage version soon.