Huawei’s sub-brand Honor has announced the roll out details in India of its next software update – EMUI 5.0 based on Android 7.0 (Nougat). The company said that upcoming Honor 8 Lite smartphone will be the first device in the country that will come with EMUI 5.0 out-of- the-box. And the Honor 8, Honor 6X, Honor 5C and Huawei P9 smartphones will get the update in May 2017. To remind you, this week the Honor 6X received the update in some countries.
The EMUI 5.0 update brings one-button navigation, Intuitive Interactions, machine learning, App Twin feature and improved security. It said that the EMUI 5.0 has been inspired by Aegean Sea blue, with pure white colors throughout the whole UI. “The simplified user interface ensures easier switching between user spaces with a single touch, instant data transfer and faster file sharing capabilities,” said the company.
EMUI 5.0 also has multiple Indian customizations such as languages, themes and calendar since its conceptualization was also supported at the Huawei’s Bangalore RnD center.
The UI continues to support Huawei’s proprietary SOS feature that can be activated in an emergency situation on pressing user defined buttons. The India Calendar integrates into the default Calendar app and provides substantial value addition by providing details of important timings in both these religions on a day by day basis. It also supports 14 Indian languages including Tamil, Telugu, Punjabi, Kannada, Gujarati, Hindi, Bengali, Marathi, Assamese, Nepali, Malayalam, Oriya, Urdu, and Maithili.
Regarding the improved performance and security of the EMUI 5.0, Honor said:
- EMUI 5.0 provides optimal resources allocation based on the user’s usage habits and thus helps your phone remain faster and smoother for longer durations.
- Based on next-level machine learning mechanisms, EMUI 5 allocates resources dynamically to provide more CPU and memory to applications that are used on a regular basis.
- Fast memory recycling mechanism combines an exclusive memory compression technology to dynamically increase available memory and performance.
- Devices will no longer require any manual cleaning as the background cleaning process keeps on running when the phone is in an idle state.
- Applications which are used frequently are kept alive in the background, thus enabling them to be launched instantly.
- EMUI 5.0 embarks technologies that enhance graphics and display properties thus enabling instant picture display with no black or white squares even while scrolling through the Gallery.
- ‘Privacy Space’ switches access using a revamped fingerprint technology.
- Combines cloud-based dynamic and static antivirus with a local antivirus and scans hyperlinks in SMS on a real-time basis for effective security.
- Huawei Share offers easy and seamless sharing between Huawei Honor phones and pads, enhanced Notepad functionalities and a whole lot more
- App Twin feature allows users to log-in and use two different accounts at the same time on the same phone.