Andy Rubin, the inventor of Android, has finally introduced his first smartphone, called Essential (PH-1). The most anticipated smartphone comes with a 5.71-inch edge-to-edge QHD (2560 x 1312 pixels) display with rounded corners and features 19:10 aspect ratio. It is powered by Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) Octa-Core processor paired with 4GB of RAM, 128GB of storage, and it runs on Android OS (the company did not specify the version of Android).
The main highlight of the smartphone is its modularity feature, notice the two small metal pins (magnetic connector) right side of the main camera that allows you to attach accessories on it. The first is a 360° camera that features dual 12MP sensors behind fish-eye lenses (210°) and 4 mics for shooting UHD (3840 x 1920 pixels) videos at 30fps. The company is also offer a Phone dock, which can charge the phone. Other accessories will be launched in the future.
The Essential phone is built around a titanium frame, which is tougher than aluminum and will not scratch or bend when you drop the phone. The back of the device is ceramic, and the front is Corning Gorilla Glass 5. It also has a Fingerprint sensor on the back.
In terms of camera, it has dual 13MP RGB + Mono rear camera with image fusion technology, 13MP True Monochrome mode, f/1.85 lens, Hybrid Auto Focus combing Contrast, Phase Detect and IR Laser Assist Focus. On the front it sports an 8MP camera with 16:9 aspect ratio and f/2.20 fixed hyperfocal lens. Both the main camera and the selfie camera can record [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] (slow motion) videos.
Unfortunately, the phone doesn’t have a headphone jack and will ship with a headphone dongle in the box.
Essential PH-1 key specifications:
- 5.7-inch QHD (2560 x 1312 pixels) LTPS edge-to-edge display with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection, 19:10 aspect ratio, 500nits brightness
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) SoC with Kryo Octa-Core (2.45GHz Quad + 1.9GHz Quad) CPU
- Adreno 540 GPU
- 4GB RAM
- 128GB storage (UFS 2.1)
- Android OS
- Single SIM (Nano SIM)
- 4G LTE, 3G HSPA+, 2G GPRS/EDGE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac dual band (2.4GHz & 5GHz) MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS/GLONASS, NFC, micro USB, USB Type-C, USB OTG
- USB Type-C audio, 4x microphones with noise cancellation and beam forming, Stereo loudspeaker
- 13MP Dual RGB + Mono camera with image fusion technology, 13MP True Monochrome mode, f/1.85 lens, Hybrid Auto Focus, Video recording at [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]
- 8MP front camera with 16:9 aspect ratio, f/2.2 fixed hyperfocal lens, Video recording at [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected]
- Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, Ambient Light, E-compass, Magnetometer, Barometer Hall sensor
- Non-removable 3,040mAh battery with fast charging
- Dimensions: 141.5 x 71.1 x 7.8 mm
- Weight: 185 grams
- Colors: Black Moon, Stellar Grey, Pure White, Ocean Depths
The Essential Phone is priced at $699 and is available now for pre-order in the US. The 360° camera is also available bundle with phone for the promotional price of $749.