Xiaomi just announced its latest flagship smartphone, the Mi 6 at an event in China, as it had promised. It packs a 5.15-inch Full HD (1080p) display, is powered by a Snadpragon 835 (64-bit) Octa-Core processor paired with 6GB of RAM, has 64GB/128GB of internal storage and runs on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with MIUI 8 on top.
In terms of camera, it comes with dual rear camera setup – 12MP + 12MP, one with wide-angle lens and other one with telephoto lens for 2x optical lossless zoom. It also has portrait mode, similar to the iPhone 7 Plus for blurring background objects. Its binocular stereoscopic vision imaging and depth learning algorithm makes edge recognition more accurate in the photos, says Xiaomi. There is also 4-axis optical image stabilization (OIS) to help take steady shots and videos from the wide-angle 12MP camera. On the front it has an 8-megapixel camera with wide-angle lens.
It has four-sided 3D curved glass on the front and back with a stainless steel frame in between that has a polish which takes 12 days and 40 processes to achieve. It also has an under-glass ultrasonic fingerprint sensor at the front that can also be used for Alipay and WeChat payments, infrared sensor on the top, and dual stereo loudspeakers – one embedded into the earpiece and the other on the bottom. It lacks 3.5mm audio jack since it uses USB Type-C audio.
The phone is also splash-resistant, all openings including the SIM tray is properly sealed and protected with nano coating, but it is not certified for water resistance.
There’s also a ceramic version of the Mi 6 with 18K gold rims around the two cameras.
Xiaomi Mi 6 specifications:
- 5.15-inch Full HD (1920×1080 pixels) IPS LCD display with 600nits brightness, 94.4% NTSC color gamut, 1500:1 contrast ratio, 1-nit ultra dark night display for reading at night
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) SoC with Octa-Core (4 x 2.45GHz Kryo & 4 x 1.9GHz Kryo) CPU
- Adreno 540 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4x RAM
- 64GB / 128GB (UFS) internal storage
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with MIUI 8
- Dual SIM (nano + nano, dual stand-by)
- 4G LTE, 3G HSPA+, 2G GPRS/EDGE, WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz & 5GHz), 2×2 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, A-GPS/GLONASS/BDS, micro USB Type-C, USB OTG
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speakers
- 12MP rear camera with wide-angle lens, 1.25μm pixel size, f/1.8 aperture, dual-tone LED flash, 4-axis OIS, 4K ([email protected]) video recording + secondary 12MP camera with 52mm portrait lens, 1.0μm pixel size, f/2.6 aperture
- 8MP front camera, 1080p
- Ultrasonic Fingerprint, Infrared, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, E-compass, A-Light, Barometer sensor
- Splash resistant body
- Non-removable 3350mAh (typical) / 3250mAh (minimum) battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, 18W fast charging
- Dimensions: 145.17 x 70.49 ×7.45 mm
- Weight: 168 grams / 182 grams (ceramic)
- Colors: Bright Blue, Bright Black, White, Silver
The Xiaomi Mi 6 is priced at CNY 2,499 (US$ 360 / Rs. 23,420 approx) for the 64GB storage storage version, CNY 2,899 (US$ 420 / Rs. 27,150 approx) for the 128GB storage version and the ceramic version with 128GB storage costs CNY 2999 (US$ 435 / Rs. 28,100 approx). It will be available in China starting from April 28. No details about global roll-out yet.