Samsung just announced its hotly anticipated flagship duo, the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ smartphones at its Unpacked event in New York. Both the phones have Quad HD+ (1440 x 2960 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity Display – an end-to-end bezel-less screen with 18.5:9 aspect ratio that extends to the phone’s sides. They are mostly differ in screen size – S8 has a 5.8-inch screen and the S8+ sports a 6.2-inch screen, both come with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection on the front and the back.
Moving on to the hardware, both the phones are powered by Snapdragon 835 and Exynos 8895 chipsets. Different countries get a different chipset, but performance should be very similar between the two. Most of the world will get 4GB of RAM with 64GB of storage version of the devices, but some countries (China and Korea, presumably) will get 6GB of RAM with 128GB of storage version instead. But you can you can expanded it via microSD card.
In these devices Samsung has removed its traditional hardware home button below the screen and replaced it with pressure-sensitive on screen buttons. It also offers haptic feedback like iPhone, offering virtual feeling of pressing a home button when pressed on a specific spot where the software home button appears. Both the phones also have Iris scanner on the top that was first introduced on the Galaxy Note7, fingerprint sensor and heart rate sensor on the back.
As for camera, the Galaxy S8 and S8+ uses the 12-megapixel Dual Pixel sensor from the S7 but with improved software – it captures multiple exposures to raise image quality. Samsung calls it Multiframe Processing and it sounds a lot like Google’s HDR+. The front camera did get a hardware upgrade (as well as the Multiframe Processing) and it is now an 8-megapixel sensor with auto-focus.
The flagship duo also have Bixby AI assistant that promises more personalized experience to enhance the way people interact with their phones and the world around them. Samsung says Bixby is not an ordinary voice assistant, but rather an intuitive and comprehensive interface that leverages contextual awareness to learn users’ habits and respond accordingly. By the way, Bixby will power Samsung’s Internet of Things – the company expects by 2020 most of their appliances will be connected and under Bixby’s control.
The S8 gets a 3,000mAh battery, while the bigger S8+ comes with a 3,500mAh battery. Both are featuring Samsung’s Adaptive Fast Charging. There’s fast wireless charging too (WPC and PMA). They are also water resistant up to 1.5 meters for 30 minutes with IP68 ratings.
Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ specifications:
- S8 – 5.8-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Always-on Infinity display, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- S8+ – 6.2-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Always-on Infinity display, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) SoC with Octa-core (4 x 2.35GHz Kryo + 4 x 1.9GHz Kryo) CPU / Samsung Exynos 9 Series 8895 (64-bit) SoC with Octa-core (4 x 2.3GHz + 4 x 1.7GHz) CPU
- Adreno 540 GPU (Qualcomm) / Mali-G71 MP20 GPU (Exynos)
- 4GB / 6GB LPDDR4 RAM (market dependent)
- 64GB / 128GB Internal storage UFS 2.1 (market dependent), expandable up to 256 GB via microSD card slot
- Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Single SIM / Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 4G LTE Cat16 (1GBps), 3G HSPA+, 2G GPRS/EDGE, Dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), A-GPS/GLONASS/BDS/ GALILEO, NFC, microUSB 3.1, USB Type-C, USB OTG
- 3.5mm audio jack, Hi-Res Audio, Stereo loudspeakers, FM Radio
- Ultra High Quality Audio Playback – PCM: Up to 32 bits; DSD: DSD64/128
- 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with 1/2.55″ sensor size, 1.4µm pixel size, 26mm lens, f/1.7 aperture, OIS, LED Flash, 4K (2160p) video recording
- 8MP auto-focus front camera with 1/3.6″ sensor size, 1.22µm pixel size, f/1.7 aperture, 80-degree wide-angle lens, Auto HDR, 1080p
- Water and dust resistant body (IP68)
- Fingerprint, Heart Rate, Iris scanner, Accelerometer, Proximity, Gyroscope, RGB Light, Barometer, Geomagnetic, Hall, Pressure Sensors
- Dimensions: S8 – 148.9 x 68.1 x 8.0 mm, S8+ – 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1 mm
- Weight: S8 – 152 grams, S8+ – 173 grams
- Battery: S8 – Non-removable 3000mAh battery, S8+ – Non-removable 3500mAh battery. Fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
- Colors: Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Coral Blue, Arctic Silver, Maple Gold
The Samsung Galaxy S8 is priced at $750/€809 (Rs. 48,660 approx) and the Galaxy S8+ costs $850/€909 (Rs. 55,140 approx). It also comes with earphones tuned by AKG by Harman, which will be available separately for $99 (Rs. 6,420 approx.). Both the phones will be available for pre-order in the US starting from tomorrow, March 30th, and goes on sale starting from April 21. European availability is scheduled for April 28.