CAT (the popular smartphone brand for making rugged phones) has launched its flagship smartphone – the CAT S60 in India. It was introduced just ahead of MWC 2016. It is the world’s first smartphone to feature an integrated thermal camera (from FLIR). It can measure the temperature of objects from 15m-30m (50ft-100ft) away and can even see through smoke.
The company said “The thermal camera visualizes heat that is invisible to the naked eye, highlighting temperature contrasts. It can pick up heat and measure surface temperatures from a distance of up to 50 to 100 feet, and see through obscurants such as smoke, enabling a huge range of use cases for building professionals, utility workers, outdoor sports enthusiasts, emergency first responders and more.” It is also the world’s most waterproof smartphone since, it is waterproof to depths of up to 5 meters for 1hour, allowing it to be used as an underwater camera.
The CAT S60 goes beyond casual smartphone toughness. CAT dropped the phone 26 times from 1.8m (6ft) to make sure it survives hard hits. This display can be viewed in bright sunlight and the touch-screen can be controlled with wet fingers or while wearing gloves. It is also protected by 1mm Corning Gorilla Glass 4 (normal phones get 0.4mm).
It also has a dedicated SOS button, which sends out location coordinates message to pre-programed contacts in case of an emergency and the programmable key can be customized for short press and long press for quick launch of any application.
CAT S60 Specifications:
- 4.7-inch HD (1280 x 720 pixels) multi-touch display with auto wet finger and glove support, 540 nits brightness, Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection
- Snapdragon 617 64-bit SoC with Octa-Core 1.5GHz Cortex A53 CPU
- Adreno 405 GPU
- 3GB RAM
- 32GB internal storage, expandable up to 128GB via microSD card
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
- 4G LTE, 3G HSPA+, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band (2.4GHz & 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, A-GPS/GLONASS, microUSB 2.0, USB OTG
- 3.5mm headphone jack, 105dB loudspeaker
- 13MP auto-focus rear camera with dual-tone LED Flash, 1080p video recording
- 5MP front camera
- Dedicated FLIR thermal camera with MSX technology
- Drop proof up to 1.8m (6ft)
- Water proof (up to 5 meters for 1hour)
- MIL STD 810G certified – salt, dust, humidity, rain, vibration, solar radiation, transport and thermal shock resistant
- Non-removable Li-Ion 3800mAh battery
The CAT S60 is priced at Rs. 64,999 and will be available across multi-brand outlets in the country and on Amazon India online store starting from today, March 17th.