At the ongoing MWC 2017 (Mobile World Congress) event in Barcelona, Sony Mobile today announced its latest flagship smartphone, the Sony Xperia XZ Premium. It is the world’s first smartphone sports a 5.5-inch 4K HDR display and is powered by Qualcomm’s latest high-end Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) SoC.
It also packs 4GB of RAM, 64GB of expandable internal storage and runs on Android 7.0 (Nougat). It has IP65/68 dust and water resistance body with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 on the front and back, fingerprint sensor embedded into the power button and comes with 3230mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0.
Moving onto the camera, it has a new 19-megapixel Motion Eye camera with 1/ 2.3″ Exmor RS memory stacked sensor, Predictive Capture, Anti-distortion shutter, Triple image sensing technology, 5-axis image stabilization for shake-free videos, 4K and 960fps slow-motion video recording. On the front it features a 13-megapixel camera with 1/3″ Exmor RS sensor, 22mm wide-angle lens, f/2.0 aperture, 1080p video recording. It also has a dedicated camera shutter button, similar to the predecessor.
Sony Xperia XZ Premium specifications:
- 5.5-inch 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels) IPS LCD HDR TRILUMINOS Display with X-Reality Engine, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 (64-bit) SoC with Octa-core (4 x 2.45GHz Kryo & 4 x 1.9GHz Kryo) CPU
- Adreno 540 GPU
- 4GB RAM
- 64GB internal storage, expandable up to 256GB via microSD card
- Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Single SIM / Dual SIM (market dependent)
- 4G LTE Cat.16 (1Gbps), 3G HSPA+, 2G GPRS/EDGE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz & 5GHz) MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, GPS/ GLONASS/BDS, microUSB 3.1, USB Type-C, USB OTG
- 3.5mm audio jack, DSEE HX, LDAC, Digital Noise Cancelling
- 19MP rear camera with Exmos RS sensor, 1/2.3″ sensor size, Predictive capture, PDAF, EIS, 5-axis stabilization, LED flash, [email protected] / [email protected] video recording
- 13MP front camera with 1/3″ Exmor RS sensor, 22mm wide-angle lens, f/2.0 aperture, 1080p video recording
- Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, E-compass, Ambient Light, Barometer, Color spectrum sensor
- Non-removable Li-Ion 3230mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 4.0
- Dimensions: 156 x 77 x 7.9 mm
- Weight: 195 grams
- Colors: Luminous Chrome, Deepsea Black
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium will be available from late Spring 2017. No details about the pricing yet.