BlackBerry just announced its latest smartphone, dubbed KEYone at its MWC 2017 event in Barcelona, Spain. It was codenamed ‘Mercury’ and is the last smartphone developed by BlackBerry and is made by TCL Communication Technology (TCT).
It comes with a 4.5-inch display with a resolution of 1620×1080 pixels and 3:2 aspect ratio. Below the display it has a 4-row QWERTY physical backlit keyboard that respond to touch gestures – you just use them as a touchpad of sorts, support for flick typing, up to 52 customizable shortcuts – such as pressing ‘I’ for your inbox or ‘M’ to access maps, and has an embedded fingerprint sensor into the spacebar/interval key.
It is powered by a Snapdragon 625 (64-bit) Octa-Core processor paired with 3GB of RAM, has 32GB of expandable internal storage and runs on Android 7.1 (Nougat) with security and productivity suite from BlackBerry.
In terms of camera, it has a 12-megapixel rear camera with Sony’s IMX378 sensor, which has a 1.55μm pixel size, and an 8-megapixel camera on the front with 1.12µm pixel size.
It has an anodized aluminum frame with a soft touch textured back and packs a 3505mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 that charge the phone up to 50% in just 36 minutes.
BlackBerry KEYone specifications
- 4.5-inch (1620 x 1080 pixels) IPS LCD display with 3:2 aspect ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection
- Capacitive touch 4-row BlackBerry QWERTY keyboard
- Qualcomm MSM8953 Snapdragon 625 (64-bit) SoC with Octa-core 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53 CPU
- Adreno 506 GPU
- 3GB RAM
- 32GB internal storage, expandable up to 256GB via microSD card
- Android 7.1 (Nougat)
- Single SIM (Nano)
- 4G LTE Cat.9, 3G HSPA+, 2G GPRS/EDGE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz & 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS/GLONASS/BDS, micro USB 2.0, USB Type-C, USB OTG
- FM Radio, 3.5mm audio jack
- 12MP rear camera with dual-tone LED Flash, Sony IMX378 sensor, 1.55μm pixel size, 1/2.3″ sensor size, f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, 4K video recording
- 8MP front camera with 1.12µm pixel size, f/2.2 aperture, 1080p
- Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, Ambient Light, E-Compass sensor
- Non-removable Li-Ion 3505mAh battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
- Dimensions: 149.3 x 72.5 x 9.4 mm
- Weight: 180 grams
- Color: Black
The BlackBerry KEYone is priced at €599 EUR / £499 GBP / $549 USD (Rs. 36,590 approx) depending on the market and will be available globally starting from April.