Alongside the Mi Note 2, Xiaomi also unveiled the Mi MIX, a so-called concept phone with a bezel-less display that will actually be on sale. The smartphone comes with a 6.4-inch (2040 x 1080 pixels) Full HD display with whopping 91.3% screen-to-body ratio, which making it look nearly border-less. There is only one significant bezel, and that is at the bottom, where you will find the front speaker and front camera. It does not have any physical button at the bottom and also is the first Xiaomi smartphone with on-screen controls.
Instead of a standard proximity sensor it uses ultrasonic technology, which works through the display and uses Cantilever Piezoelectric Ceramic acoustic system instead of a standard earpiece, allowing you to listen to calls without the earpiece.
The Mi MIX has full ceramic body, with ceramic back, ceramic frame, and ceramic buttons. The design uses a mortise and tenon joint for attaching the display to the body, instead of glue or other adhesives. World renowned designer Philippe Starck is the designer of the smartphone.
The Mi MIX is powered by a Snapdragon 821 (64-bit) Quad-Core processor, has 4GB/6GB of RAM, 128GB/256GB of internal storage and runs on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) with MIUI 8 on top.
As for the camera, it has a 16MP rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, PDAF and a custom-made 5-megapixel front camera, which is 50% smaller than a standard camera sensor. It also has a fingerprint sensor on the back.
Xiaomi Mi MIX specifications:
- 6.4-inch Full HD (2040 x 1080 pixels) IPS display with 17:9 aspect ratio, 91.3% screen-to-body ratio
- Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 821 (64-bit) SoC with Quad-Core (2 x 2.35 GHz Kryo + 2 x 1.6 GHz Kryo) CPU
- Adreno 530 GPU
- 4GB / 6GB DDR4 RAM
- 128GB / 256GB (UFS 2.0) internal memory
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) with MIUI 8
- Dual SIM (nano + nano, dual stand-by)
- 4G LTE, 3G HSPA+, 2G GPRS/EDGE, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac (2.4GHz & 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, A-GPS+GLONASS+BDS , NFC, microUSB 2.0, USB Type-C 1.0 (reversible connector), USB OTG
- 3.5mm audio jack, 192kHz / 24-bit lossless audio
- 16MP rear camera with dual-tone LED Flash, f/2.0 aperture, PDAF, EIS (gyro), 4K video recording
- 5MP front camera, 1080p
- Fingerprint, Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Proximity, E-compass, Barometer, Hall sensor
- Non-removable Li-Ion 4400mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0 (83% in 30 min)
- Dimensions: 158.8 x 81.9 x 7.9 mm
- Weight: 209 grams
- Color: Black
The Xiaomi Mi Mix is priced at CNY 3499 ($516 / Rs. 34,500 approx) for the standard 4GB RAM with 128GB storage version and the special edition with 18K gold finish around the rear camera and fingerprint sensor, 6GB RAM and 256GB storage costs CNY 3999 ($590 / Rs. 39,500 approx) . It is now available for pre-order in China and goes on sale from November 4th.