LG has finally announced its latest flagship smartphone in the ‘G’ series, the G5 as it promised. The main interesting features in the smartphone are Always-on mode, dual rear cameras and a hardware expansion slot. With the Always-on mode you can check the time, battery status and notifications without waking the phone. The display’s backlight only illuminates one small part of the overall display, so only 0.8% of the phone’s battery drains in a hour, according to LG.
It has a 16-megapixel rear camera with Optical Image stabilization (OIS) 2.0, Laser auto focus, manual mode, dual-tone LED flash and a secondary 8-megapixel rear camera with 135-degree wide angle lens. LG has also introduced a hardware expansion modules, called CAM Plus and Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play.
- CAM Plus: Camera that is attached through battery slot for a comfortable grip and convenient control of a DSLR. It offers Auto focus, exposure lock and provides physical buttons for power, shutter, record, and zoom. Packs additional battery capacity of 1,100mAh.
- Hi-Fi Plus with B&O Play: Portable Hi-Fi audio player developed in collaboration with B&O Play supports 32-bit, 384KHz high-definition audio playback. Can be used with LG G5 or even as a separate Hi-Fi digital audio chip (DAC) that connects to any smartphone or PC.
It also has companion devices, called LG Friends that can be transformed into a digital camera, Hi-Fi player and more.
- LG 360 VR: VR goggle that can be connected with the G5 via a dedicated cable and works exclusively with the G5 to simulate a 130-inch TV viewed from two meters away. It has a stylish design that is foldable so that users can easily carry and watch VR content anytime, anywhere.
- LG 360 CAM: Compact 360-degree angle camera equipped with two 13MP 200-degree wide angle cameras, 1,200mAh battery and 4GB internal memory, which can be supplemented by a microSD card. Provides 2K video and 5.1 surround channel recording on three microphones
- LG Rolling Bot: Companion device that rolls like a ball while capturing images and videos with its embedded 8MP camera. Can be used as a monitoring system for the home, pet care companion as well as a remote controller for compatible home appliances.
- H3 by B&O PLAY: Set of high-end earphones that is compatible with the high-quality sound of the LG Hi-Fi Plus with B&O PLAY.
- LG Smart Controller: Allows users to easily control certain drones. Lets you check the video stream from the drone through the LG G5 in real time and control the unmanned aircraft with the LG Smart Controller joystick.
- LG Friends Manager: Only available in the LG G5, it is the hub application that allows the G5 to connect with LG Friends with minimal fuss and effort. It automatically detects nearby LG Friends and connects quickly and easily in three simple steps, eliminating much of the hassle of pairing devices.
LG G5 Specifications:
- 5.3-inch Quad HD (2560×1440 pixels) IPS display, 3D Arc Glass, Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection
- Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 820 64-bit SoC with Quad-Core CPU
- Adreno 530 GPU
- 4GB RAM
- 32GB internal storage, expandable up to 2TB via microSD card
- Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)
- Optional Dual SIM
- 4G LTE Cat.9, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (dual-band), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS & BDS, NFC, microUSB 3.0 Type-C (reversible connector), 3.5mm audio jack
- 16 MP laser auto focus rear camera, OIS, f/1.8 aperture, dual-tone flash, 4K video recording
- 8 MP secondary rear camera with 135-degree wide-angle lens, f/2.4 aperture
- 8 MP front camera with 1080p video recording
- Fingerprint, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer, color spectrum sensors
- Fluid metal body
- Dimensions: 149.4 x 73.9 x 7.7~8.6mm
- Weight: 159 grams
- 2800mAh (removable) battery with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0
The LG G5 comes in Silver, Titan, Gold and Pink colors and will be available globally in April along with the Friends companion devices. No word on the pricing yet.